Tuition Fees for International Students


Studying in Baden-Württemberg

International students are not only an essential part of our universities, but of Baden-Württemberg as a whole. Over the past 20 years, the number of international students in the state has risen by 300 percent, and science, research and the exchange of ideas at our universities benefit greatly from their presence. These students know that Baden-Württemberg is truly an outstanding place to study.

Starting winter semester 2017/18, universities in Baden-Württemberg will begin charging moderate tuition fees for non-EU international students. These fees are intended to keep our universities open to non-EU-residents and prepare them for further growth by maintaining the high quality standards Baden-Württemberg is well known for. In addition, the universities will offer increased advising opportunities for foreign students in order to ensure that their efforts will lead to a successful academic career in Germany. These fees amount to 1,500 euros per semester.

The Best Universities in Germany
With over 70 university campuses, 2,600 degree programs, multiple nationally distinguished universities of excellence, and an EU best nearly 5% of state GDP invested in research and development, Baden-Württemberg will continue to be a top destination for the best students and universities in Germany.

In order to continue to provide the best education possible and to give additional support and advising to ensure the academic success of non-EU international students in Baden-Württemberg, many students will be required to pay a modest tuition fee. However, there are a number of exemptions provided for certain students. 

A full explanation of all exemptions can be found here (in German only): Landeshochschulgebührengesetz (LHGebG).

Who is affected?

  • All future students who are not nationals of a state of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA).

Who is exempt?

  • Fee Exemptions in detail
    Tuition fee waivers for international students will be granted automatically in the following cases:  

    •  Students from the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA)
    •  Non-Germans with a German higher education entrance qualification under § 58 LHG
    •  Students enrolling for a doctoral program
    • Students on exchanges arising from partnership agreements with their host university (e.g. Erasmus) - § 6 Abs. 1 Landeshochschulgebührengesetz (LHGebG)
    • Double Degree students from partner institutions abroad, if mutual tuition fee waivers have been agreed upon within partnership agreements - § 6 Abs. 1 LHGebG
    • Family members (spouses, de facto partners, children) of citizens of EU and EEA countries under § 3 of Act on the General Freedom of Movement for EU Citizens Freedom of Movement Act/EU - § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 1 LHGebG
    • Non-EU or EEA citizens who have an EU residence permit - § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 2 LHGebG.
    • Non-EU or EEA citizens permanently residing in Germany with a residence permit for international law - § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 5 LHGebG
    • Refugees whose habitual abode is in Germany, who are recognized under the UN Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, and whose entitlement to reside in Germany is not merely provisional - § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 3 LHGebG
    • Displaced persons under the (post-World War II) - Gesetz über die Rechtsstellung heimatloser Ausländer im Bundesgebiet - § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 4 LHGebG
    • Non-EU or EEA citizens with permanent residence in Germany who have been legally present in Germany without interruption for at least 15 months and who have a particular form of residence permit (e.g., due to a stay of deportation or other obstacle to leaving the country) -  § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 6 LHGebG
    • Non-EU or EEA citizens with permanent residence in Germany who have been legally present in Germany without interruption for at least 15 months - § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 7 LHGebG,
    • Non-EU or EEA citizens who have been present in Germany for five years and have been legally employed - § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 8 LHGebG
    • Non-EU or EEA citizens with at least one parent who has lived in Germany for a total of 3 of the 6 years prior to the start of the applicant’s studies and who was legally employed - § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 9 LHGebG
    • Non-EU or EEA citizens who have completed a Bachelor’s and a Master’s degree or a Staatsexamen or diploma study program (cf. Second Degree Tuition Fees) -
      § 5 Abs. 1 Nr. 10 LHGebG


    The following may apply for exemption to the fee after they receive the payment-due notice:

    • Students in a practical semester which is part of their regular studies - § 6 Abs. 2 Nr. 3 LHGebG
    • Students with a significant disability which hinders their studies as set out in § 2 SGB IX - § 6 Abs. 7 LHGebG
    • Students on leave of absence, if the application for leave of absence was made prior to the start of semester - § 6 Abs. 2 Nr. 1 LHGebG
    • Students in their year of practical training? - § 6 Abs. 2 Nr. 2 LHGebG
    • Non-EU or EEA citizens with an “Aufenthaltsgestattung” residence document under § 55 paragraph 1 of the asylum law, who have citizenship of a country which the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees assesses as having a high protection quota - § 6 Abs. 6 LHGebG


    If a state leaves the EU or EEA (e.g. Brexit) and if citizens of that state thereby become subject to tuition fees, citizens of that state may continue their studies without paying tuition fees if, at the time the departure from the EU or EEA becomes effective, they have been enrolled in a degree program at an institution of higher education in Baden-Württemberg for at least five semesters.